Monday, June 21, 2010

Call me chicken but I'm from Turkey

I spent the past two days with the enumeration team working in districts of Aden. They are well trained and work hard. I am very impressed.

My presence in the less developed areas of Aden is a bit of a shock for the people that live there. Not many outsiders, much less foreigners, visit their neighborhoods. Kids will stand outside the enumeration team's bus and stare.

The team has been telling people who ask (almost everyone) that I am from Turkey. People here love Turkey. First, Turkey has great soap operas and television shows. Second, it was a Turkish boat that challenged the Israeli blockade of Gaza. Israeli is now considering easing its blockade due to intense international scrutiny. No one speaks Turkish so I can get away with it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/21/world/middleeast/21mideast.html?scp=2&sq=gaza&st=cse

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/18/world/middleeast/18mideast.html?scp=4&sq=gaza&st=cse

Back pain, Bananas, and a monkey on a leash

No comments:

Post a Comment