Saturday, August 7, 2010

Lending a Hand

I saw a Muslim funeral procession through my neighborhood today. According to Islamic traditions, if you see a funeral pass, you should join the procession for at least a couple steps and if you're able, you should take a turn carrying the casket. The tradition goes that you do that for others so when your funeral comes, others do it for you. I like that idea.

Ramadan starts this coming Tuesday or Wednesday depending on the moon. Ramadan is a time of fasting, reflection and prayer for Muslims worldwide. They abstain from food, water, and intercourse from sunrise to sun down. The entire Qur'an is read in mosques during the month and the end of the month is marked by a large celebration. I was in Egypt during Ramadan two years ago but apparently the rhythm of life in Yemen during Ramadan is much different. People sleep later and after breaking their fasts, stay out until the wee morning hours. It should be fun.

Matt's cooking corner: So, I thought I knew the word for lentils. I was wrong because the other night I tried to make lentils but things went horribly horribly wrong. The result was crunchy and bland. Oh, did I mention that I was cooking peas, not lentils? This guy got duped. I must have run into the world's most savvy pea salesman and he got me. I have since done my homework and I am happy to report having successfully fixed a lentil meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment