Sunday, September 26, 2010

31 minutes to Two Suns

My friend Nathan (!) visited me in Aden this past week and we climbed the highest peak on the Aden peninsula, Shamsan. Shamsan means 'Two suns' in Arabic. It was a fun climb and a beautiful view from the top. We learned from one of our climbing buddies, a British fellow who has lived in Aden for the better part of the last 20 years that the record time to the top of the peak is 31 minutes. One side of the peak has a path that leads from the quarry at the bottom all the way to the top that, according to the story, a Yemeni serving with the British soldiers in Aden, ran up to set the record.

It's not an easy goal or a short peak but I have two years here and I think I can beat that. I'll keep you updated.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like Nathan's name is often mentioned when superlative adjectives are involved... especially when pertaining to geography.

    ReplyDelete